Firebrickart

Kiln Fired Art is what gets us HOT!
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 10:53 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to firebrickart

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Meet Lynn Peeler
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:31 am 
Attachment:
Lynn Peeler with lilacs.jpg
Lynn Peeler with lilacs.jpg [ 6.77 KiB | Viewed 4228 times ]

Hi, My name is Lynn Peeler. I am 56 years old. I have been married to my husband, Ronnie, for 36 years (we were high school sweet hearts). I have one grown daughter who gave me a wonderful grandson who is now 11 years old. They live across the street from me so I spend a lot of time with my grandson, pick him up from school, attend his ball games, school functions, etc. He is my top priority in my retired life right now. I worked for a large company in many capacities for 25 years and retired early at age 50. My husband’s father is 84 and has Alzheimer’s. Although he still lives at home with 24-hour home care, his life requires much of ours. My parents are healthy at 80 and live close also (within 30 miles). We live in a rather rural area with several acres of land with a pond so I guess you’d consider me a “country” girl.

We have a second home on a lake about 40 miles from our permanent home where I spend as much time as I can. Before we got the lake house, we camped for years, first in tents, then pop-up campers, then pull-behind trailers, and a small, smoking motor home once. My husband loves to fish and I love to sun and read (good combination). During the summer time, my grandson and I spend lots of time at the lake. Sometimes my sister’s three girls come up and spend time with us. We love all water sports like skiing, knee boarding, tubing, jet skiing, fishing, etc. When I don’t have the kids with me, I take some of my painting supplies with me to the lake and sit and paint for hours. But, what goes up must come “back” to be fired. When my grandson graduates high school, we may move to the lake permanently but my husband will have to build a place for my kilns first.

I started china painting when I retired. Unbeknownst to me, my husband’s cousin was a china painter. When visiting her house one day I saw some of her hand painted things and asked her to take me to class with her when I retired. The rest is history. I was hooked the very first day and have been taking weekly classes for seven years now. My husband laughs and says I’ll never graduate. I hope I don’t. I began painting and still paint mostly traditional flowers, birds, etc. in class. We do projects that usually take a month to complete. My teacher is the best and can paint anything. However, we don’t typically do any modern things. I have no background of any kind in painting in other mediums. I have been fortunate to be able to take a few seminars since I began china painting from wonderful painters like Mariela, Alfredo Toledano, Frances Braxton, Jane Bowen, Filipe, Alzora, and Andrew Orr. I will be attending a Peter Faust seminar in May. So you can see, I average about one seminar a year. I seldom sell my painted china but often give it away as gifts. For the past two years, I’ve entered several of my pieces in our local fair and won a number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd place ribbons. That’s the extent of my competitions.

I attended two years of college and received an Associate degree in Secretarial Science. I worked part time while in school and full time until I retired. During that time and before discovering china painting, I also did some sewing, quilting, and cross-stitching. I also loved photography but gradually gave that up due to time constraints. I still have all of my old 35 mm cameras and equipment but have moved into the digital age and am starting to take more pictures now that I have more time. I love photographing nature and have the perfect spots to do that. My daughter and I both love to read, mostly mystery novels, and don’t like to be without books. The digital age has not brought me to an e-reader yet.

I have lived my entire life in the state of SC. I’ve never traveled abroad but have been to the Caribbean, Mexico, and Canada (briefly). I don’t really like to travel too far away from home (and grandson) but I would love to see Alaska and I’d love to see the UK and all the UK china painting ladies.

Currently, my husband, daughter and son-in-law, and my grandson are taking Shag dance lessons. Shag is the official state dance of South Carolina. It is most notably associated with Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and “beach music.” I’ve recently been elected correspondence secretary for our local china painting club and am the secretary/treasurer for our boating club at the lake.

Post subject: Re: Meet Lynn Peeler
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:33 am 
Hi Lynn!!!

Glad you are on board and all the UK girlies are looking forward to meeting you when we visit USA in 2012! :lol:
Hope you like Cava????

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:33 pm 
Hi Lynn

Lovely to meet you and read your interesting story. Love the plate with the lilacs on - I love painting flowers. A lady came to visit my studio today and she has asked me to paint a plate with lilacs, I have not painted them for a long time but this is a rush order so I had better get the brushes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

best wishes

IreneF

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:51 am 

Hi Lynn,
Nice to meet you. You must be a busy lady on so many committees. It is lovely to hear some background about you and your family. Fabulous plate you painted too.
Take care
Lisa

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:15 am 

Hi Lynn,

Nice to meet you, I think this site is going to be very informative and good fun...............

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:02 am 

Be sure and put a pix of the hydragea bowl--with you exhausted holding it! Commie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:46 am 

Interesting story Lynn and very nice to have you on board. See you next year! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:18 pm 

Hi Lynn, we have something in common, I also saw some paintings at the home of my husbands cousin,she told me she went to Held of Harrogate for lessons and the very next day found me in the shop, it practically became my second home as, like you I was hooked. This was over thirty years ago and still painting and teaching the last ten of which have been spent in Spain. I hope you have a wonderfull time in the U.K. I wish I could be there and meet you and see your wonderful paintings for real. Rosalie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:59 pm 

Hi Lynn! I enjoyed your biography. I can really relate to you and feel more connected after reading your story. I am the same age as you. My folks are age 80 and 88 and Terry just lost his dad at 89, but his mom is living with us for a while and she's 84. I'm still working, but wish I could retire. I've been a Work Order Clerk for 26 years. I too love to read and cannot bring myself to purchasing a Kindle! I mostly enjoy fantasy, being a huge fan of Tolkien and J.K. Rowling. I envy where you live and that you'll be traveling to the U.K. You're such a great student, you will come home with all kinds of skills, knowledge and tools.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:22 pm 

Hello Lynn!
We appear to have much in common as I also started painting later in life. I have a love of reading mysteries and my hubby and I enjoy fishing as well!. I have done counted cross stitch, embroidery and crewel in my time and I like to sew. Hands have osteoarthritis now so those things are on hold and I paint mostly. I have been to Charlotte N.C. and that's about as far east as I've gone. Can't wait to see some of your work. You have done so well with your competitions and sounds as if you had some great teachers!

Regards,

Pat
Mesa, AZ

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]