Firebrickart

Kiln Fired Art is what gets us HOT!
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:36 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to firebrickart

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: slip casting
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:31 pm 

its not that expensive, like 12.00 a gallon or 18.00 , that was what I thought in the beginning. but I used it an ordered more. Is the EGG solid ?
you really need to be sure things are DRY before firing. or they explode in the kiln. good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:29 am 

I normally make my own slip but have not managed till now because I have access again to a Blunger. Have done some ect. etc.

Mini Marie.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:25 am 

I found a gallon of Seeley's gallon for $8/shipping around $20 (not bad). Color is Oreintal Fleash. Lightest color this gal had. I'm just using for eggs. Learning on my own.
So tonight I did make up all sizes on eggs. 1st batch I didn't let sit very long. And yes I let liquid drip out. How does one take the piece out of the mold without having finger prints on them?? Do I wait for pieces to completely dry before fixing errors? ;) too late tonight to fire them. Don't worry I do have the silicon sand. Any tip welcomed in fixing dips, fingerprints and brush strokes?! Wish I had more molds and YES I am watching this prices and that postage!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:32 pm 

. * Remember The first time you fill it up, to watch as it shrinks ( every 5-10 minutes and keep filling the hole up a couple times as it settles. ) I am going to do the Big elephant soon. that takes ALOT so not sure If Ill use the porcelain or not.
I love doing the masks. ,You can also Pour some Slip on a plaster bat and when semi firm cut into shapes.

You probably will not fire same day as you take out of mold. If the egg is solid pour , make sure you poke a hole in the bottom . My stuff take DAYS to be fully dry. It MUST be completely dry before going into the kiln.
If its a two piece mold and hollow on the inside you leave it in the mold until set , sometimes an hour sometimes a day. then gently tHump the bottom side to get it to release , let dry a bit as it will still usually be moveable ( soft leather, ) when its firm to touch . leather hard , you can start sanding lightly and sponging the imperfections and mold lines etc.

As far as the color of your Slip. you can Glaze the bisque ( your first fire to cone 06-04 ) in a white Glaze , instead of clear glaze, which will make a nice smooth shiny surface for painting.

Attachments:
CookieMaskFlowervinedrying.jpg
CookieMaskFlowervinedrying.jpg [ 106.89 KiB | Viewed 3431 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:35 pm 

Just a clip from clay art thread ,B careful using the silica sand.

from clay art . using dry kiln wash or silica sand. ?
"I have seen this done...and have ALSO seen the disappointment of the
potters' who's work this grainy, dusty mixture has fallen into and messed
up. I am not impressed. I have seen multiple alternatives to kiln wash,
and all the dry methods are very disappointing. Silica sand is one of
the MOST disappointing. Anything dry seems to land in pots and create a
rough surface. In order to prevent it, you have to be exceedingly
neurotic about how you load the kiln...and with large front-loaders, this
is mind-numbing.

As for me, myself, personally...I still haven't seen anything very
stellar to replace kiln wash, and I still can't understand some people's
problem with kiln wash...

Julie in Seattle
(who benefitted a few times from botched silica sand experiments,
and now has a few very pretty bowls with little bumps lining the inside
of the pot)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:45 pm 

Thank you for info. The pieces I have done are smaller than a chicken egg. I wish I knew how to add a photo. My kiln is small a Paragon Digital Express 1193X. I have in kiln now and will fire to cone 4. Well the area I'm using is smaller than bottom of a 9" pie pan. I have kiln wash 3 layers and the sand on the bottom for these eggs. I guess this is how we learn, experiments.
How do I add a photo using my iPhone?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:35 am 

Im not sure about adding photo from phone/ Ill have to look on my phone. otherwise when you edit pr reply to a post, click on FULL editor. then you will see a button that says browse and Upload . once you find the image you want. clic add file or upload.

Or at the bottom of the big Text box. lower left, is a ( add image to post) that will take you to a browse window too to find the photo you want to upload. then click upload. ")

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]